Review: Crash VS Spyro

Note: There will be spoilers. Read on if you so choose.

Before watching the episode: "Oh, they've got Sean writing this episode. Nick's been with them for a while and his writing hasn't been the best this season. I wonder how Sean's will do?"

After watching the episode: "I hope Sean writes more episodes, because this was fantastic!"

Image result for spyro 2 - season of flame

The Background

You know how I really wasn't on the hype train for Jotaro VS Kenshiro? Yeah, it's kinda the same deal for Crash VS Spyro. My experience with either one is very minimal. I've never played anything Spyro related, and my only experience with Crash is some Game-Boy Advance game that I never beat. That being said, how does this episode fair up with the others?

The Analyses

Holy wow, these were some really fun analyses to watch! I was going into this battle expecting standard fair, maybe a reference to the "WHOA!" Crash meme. But actually, it wasn't really brought up at all! He really only says the word "whoa" once in the whole episode, and it's during the analysis of Crash. Props to Sean for not resorting to memes in his writing! And on top of that, the Spyro analysis had Wiz and Boomstick banter, which is always a blast. Overall, these are probably the funniest analyses this season. 

Favorite quote: The whole argument between whether Spyro's ability is called "Convexity breath" or simply "Aether." It reminds me of the whole "That Man" debate from Ragna VS Sol Badguy, and that cracked me up.

The Animation

It's a 3D battle animated by Torrian, so you know it's going to be good. Needless to say, it did NOT disappoint. It was a long, fluidly animated battle with Crash and Spyro both getting some good hits in. Also: Best. Opening. Ever. Crash kills Sparks (Spyro's adoptive brother), so naturally, the only solution is to battle Crash and end up killing him and Aku Aku by turning dark and disintegrating him with aether/convexity breath to the tune of "Crash and burn". (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZdY99GynI4) Yeah, this animation was pretty fun.

Favorite moment: This was kinda tough to choose, but I'm gonna have to go with the moment described earlier: as morbid as it is, the funniest moment in the animation is Crash killing Sparks.

The Verdict

This is probably the best Death Battle this season. It had great writing, solid animation, plenty of funny moments, and I even predicted it correctly! All in all, it's a great episode with very few flaws. Overall, Crash VS Spyro gets a rating of...

8/10

As for next time...

Next time is Sora VS Pit. Now THIS matchup I can get behind. Despite being with the majority of people who are betting on Sora but rooting Pit, I still wanted this matchup solely for the reason that I wanted to see Pit in a Death Battle. Whether Pit actually wins is a different story, so hopefully he'll have the "keys" to victory.

That's all from me. Tune in after Sora VS Pit to see my review of what will hopefully be my new favorite episode! (Please don't disappoint me!) Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Death Battle Season 8 Episode Reviewed In 10 Words or Less

Review: Sasuke VS Hiei

Review: Leon Kennedy VS Frank West