Review: Raven VS Twilight Sparkle

Note: There will be spoilers. Read at your own risk.

Well, my inner brony is crushed, my inner teen titan fan is pleased, and my correct prediction streak is over. At least the music was good!

Image result for raven vs twilight sparkle

The Background

So, Raven VS Twilight Sparkle. Gotta say, this is one matchup I didn't expect to happen. I figured that when they brought Raven in, she would be facing someone like Jean Grey/Phoenix, not Twilight Sparkle. I knew it would be a complete curbstomp in favor of Phoenix, but I didn't think there were any better matchups. That is, until Raven VS Twilight Sparkle came out. It wasn't exactly clear how much these two had in common until they were put side by side, and now it seems like the two are a perfect match for each other. A-As opponents, not... for other reasons.

The Analyses

Both Analyses were pretty good. Not overly spectacular, but... pretty good. There is a bit of questionable information on both sides upon a bit of discussion with others, but overall, I did learn more about both characters. Raven's Soul Self is OP as heck, and the power of friendship is just ridiculous. Also, if the devil ever comes to Earth, all we need is a goth chick and a pony and we'll be set.

Favorite quote: "When did it become Dragon Ball Z with baby horse girl toys?!" - Boomstick, when describing how Twilight's amped-up alicorn powers were able to match Tirek.

The Animation

As always, Luis Cruz proves that he is a god of animation. The fire on Twilight's treehouse looked great, the different spells were very visually appealing, and the Soul Self looked so natural that it didn't even seem to be made from scratch! And to top it all off, it was even set to a truly magical Yates track, titled "Titans of Magic". (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewzMivw4mY) The sprites are a bit more pixelated than I would've liked, but with only like, one source for MLP sprites, you've gotta work with what you've got. Needless to say, Jetz is more than capable of doing such a thing. He's also capable of quite a fake-out. I was sure that Twilight had the win, but the Soul Self sure proved me wrong. Probably didn't have to do it by dive-bombing Twilight so hard into the ground that I'm pretty sure she's halfway to the center of the Earth, but at least it wasn't too gory, which is honestly what I prefer.

Favorite moment: The few moments before Twilight's death, when she attempted to take Raven down with a pun. "Sorry to soil your fun!"

The Verdict

This was an... interesting episode, to say the least. I definitely recommend it for anybody who's gotten sick of the ponies in MLP. Although, I guess I could also recommend it to fans of the show too, since the majority of them seem to be OK with Twilight losing. Overall, I'd say Raven VS Twilight Sparkle gets a rating of...

7.5/10

As for next time...

Next time is Jotaro Kujo VS Kenshiro. I can definitely say I'm surprised that it took this long for either JJBA or FOTNS to get into Death Battle, but I can't say I'm surprised that this is the matchup they went with. While I'm not super excited for it, It does seem like it'll be a pretty close match. We've literally got two strong combatants next time, and we'll see who really "Stands" a chance.  

That's all from me. Be sure to check back when I put out a review for Jotaro VS Kenshiro, since that's likely what'll get done next. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Death Battle Season 8 Episode Reviewed In 10 Words or Less

Review: Sasuke VS Hiei

Review: Leon Kennedy VS Frank West